What are you trying to find???

Monday, June 13, 2011

Energy and Plans and Questions

Trimester 1 = UGH.
But I have had some hopeful moments this past week that help me see the light at the end of this dark first trimester tunnel. I've been a bit more energetic this week, feeling good more than I felt nauseous, and I even made dinner twice!
PLUS I finally completed the baby gift which will soon be headed to friends in Korea... AND! I began Baby P quilt #1. This one is for Grandma P. Grandma S has yet to decide upon a fabric, and so her's will be 2nd. Yes, I am pregnant and trying to pump out 2 baby quilts for my child's grandmothers. Why? I don't know. I cave easily under pressure. Or I like to take on more than I can handle. Or I am a people pleaser to a fault.
One or all of those.
But the Grandmas requested baby quilts and who am I to say no, or set healthy boundaries and expectations of myself. You see? I really had no choice.
The good news is I am finally feeling some motivation and inspiration... and I hope that lasts. I am a little afraid it might wane as quickly as it developed and I will be left with a pile of incomplete projects and subsequent guilt, but we will cross that bridge when we get there. Right?
Right.
In the mean time...

Photo source: E Tells Tales
I saw this nursery today, and swooned a little. Clean, simple, lovely, interesting, fun... and the wiener dog night light on the floor? Could you just die? I wouldn't be able to help myself, I just might gank him for my own room!
I've started thinking a little bit about nursery design. We went shopping this weekend and Grandpa and Grandma S bought Baby P a crib (ooh... add that to the list of reasons Grandma's get quilts). It's a pretty simple and solid design, espresso wood finish. To save us some money (well, maybe...) we are using my childhood dresser and bureau that currently resides in our spare bedroom (soon to be nursery). The only problem is... that stuff while still solid is a little banged up and janky looking, and it's not real wood. Also it it light oak.

Photo source: Nebraska Furniture Mart
This is the crib we ordered... in the 'sienna' finish, ours is 'espresso' finish

SO!
The plan is to paint a close enough match... so everything is pretty and matching-ish. I am also counting on that second trimester energy boost to get me through this project. And some nice weather. (Cross your fingers for me, okay?)
But I do have some questions about painting furniture, as this will be my first time.
For all you purists... it's fake wood, so I am not destroying heirlooms or anything.  My plan is to paint a dark chocolate brown (maybe darker...) and then use an espresso or even black glaze to give it some depth and dimension. But here's my question, because google research has yet to answer it: After painting fake wood-- can you glaze it? Will the glaze stick to anything if there is no wood grain or bumps or divots to settle into? Will it look good or will it just be a waste of my time-- in which case I should just paint it a flat color of paint and call it a day???
Thoughts? Comments? Tips? Advice?

3 comments:

  1. I seem to have no problem when I do it. As much as it sucks to rough up a fresh paint job, lightly sanding it will give the glaze a surface to stick too. When I do similar projects, I always finish with a clear spray on coat. I'll be around to help with the project if you need it, just call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh! Love this post. And love the nursery picture! oh so many possibilities.

    okay, I also want to use glaze/wax for my record player but I am not going to touch a thing until I figure it out too!! I haven't done any research but my two favorite blogs of people who do are ...

    http://www.centsationalgirl.com/
    http://missmustardseed.blogspot.com/

    The second one refinished furniture ALL THE TIME. Like every day. And she might have some tips, I just need to find them.

    Good luck! I'll pass anything on that I find out. And here's to the 1st trimester being over before you know it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're starting to feel better! I have no idea about the paint/glaze thing, but make sure you use low VOC paint and have good ventilation. :)

    ReplyDelete